Wednesday, January 04, 2006

What Did She See?

My paternal grandmother was residing at an assisted living facility near my uncle, in California. She was well into her 80s. One morning she called him and said, “John, would you come over? I’m going to die today.”

He said, “Mom, you’re not going to die.” Since she was pretty well up there in years, she was probably prone to imagining things. She insisted she was. He went over to see her and she asked him to take her to the hospital. He did. He stayed with her for a while and then left to go about his daily business. "I'll be back later on. You take care." When he returned, she had passed only seconds before he reached her room. He did not wish to go in to see her. A nurse said, “You must! She has the most incredible look on her face. I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Reluctantly, he went in. He was very glad he did. He told my father she had the softest, most delicate smile on her face. “I’ve never seen Mom look happier,” he said. “It’s like she saw something very pleasant. It’s as if someone was there to greet her on the other side.”

Maybe it was her last dream, but it was no nightmare. That’s the way to go. For many years, she had nothing but time on her mind. How did she know that was her day?

No comments:

Post a Comment