Monday, June 04, 2007

A DIABETIC DIARY, Part 13

Proud of my 5.5

I have emphasized the importance of periodic tests to check your average blood glucose values, blood lipids (cholesterol and triglycerides), and kidney function. When I got the results back from my most recent tests, done at the end of April, I was very encouraged by what I saw. I switched to a new doctor since then and he hasn't seen the report, but I think he will be impressed too.

From previous tests, my triglycerides dropped from 222 to 128. Less than 150 mg/dL is ideal. Total cholesterol went from 216 to123. The normal range is 125-200 mg/dL. My bad cholesterol (LDL) dropped from 135 to 68. The desirable range in diabetics should fall below 100 mg/dL and <70 for those with known heart disease. Unfortunately, my good cholesterol (HDL) also dropped from 37 to 29. It should be > or equal to 40 mg/dL. I don't know what caused that, but I will research ways to improve it. More exercise will help, I'm sure.

Everything on my Comprehensive Metabolic Panel w/EGFR was fine except for my fasting glucose reference interval, which stood at 126. It should range from 65-99 mg/dL. What totally amazed me was the result of my Hemoglobin A1c test. Originally, I clocked in at 8.o%, a relatively high number. The non-diabetic range is less than 6.0%. This time, my number is 5.5%, an incredible improvement and something I am quite proud to crow about. I attribute this and the other results to several different factors: I am on a prescription medication for blood pressure and to loosen my arteries to protect my kidneys, I take a statin drug for cholesterol, and I take a sulfanilurea medication for diabetes. I do not consume processed sugar and my fat intake is way down. I exercise more than I did before I was diagnosed and I drink a lot less alcohol. I try to eat better overall. Of course, I miss pizza and fried chicken, but hey, you gots to do what you gots to do.

I did a tremendous amount of research on supplements for diabetics, primarily for those with type 2. I really tried to weed out the junk stuff and to make a concerted effort to avoid conflicts with other supplements and medications. Here are the results of what I've found and a list of what I take daily. Bear in mind, I made sure my doctor knows exactly what I'm taking and what his thoughts are on each one. Can I say for sure that these supplements have helped? Of course not. I've only been taking them for a few months. I would have to have similar test results over a much longer period of time to assume otherwise, and my tests may vary as much in myself as they will in any other individual. I would not recommend any other treatment without consulting your own physician first. OK, I do think cassia cinnamon can be a small miracle for people like us.

1.) 2,000 mg cassia cinnamon. This type of cinnamon may help promote sugar metabolism.

2.) 200 mcg chromium picolinate. May help promote insulin effectiveness and regulate blood sugar.

3.) 250 mg magnesium. I take this because of neuropathy. It may help with nerve impulses.

4.) Omega 3 fish oil/alpha lipoic acid. I alternate daily between these two for heart health and to fight against free radicals, plus antioxidant benefits.

5.) multivitamin

6.) 1 gram apple cider vinegar tablet with min. 35% acetic acid. Studies have shown that apple cider vinegar helps control blood sugar spikes in type 2 diabetics.

1.) 81 mg aspirin. Because my doctor told me to.

I take all of these supplements with my evening meal, except for the aspirin, which I take whenever I remember to.

When he looked over my list, he was amazed. He said that the only patients he ever sees that take these supplemental cocktails are diabetics and those with AIDS. Whether they help or not are subject to further studies. He approved most of them in a round about sort of way by checking them off one by one and saying they seem to be OK. He only questioned two of them. Chromium picolinate may alter DNA, but if I'm not thinking about having children at my ripe old age, it should be fairly safe. He takes it himself. His children are grown. He seems to think it might be of more benefit to help ward off diabetes, though. He was puzzled by the magnesium and when I told him it's for neuropathy, he just shrugged. That one, he was less sure of. I wonder what he'll think after reading my test results? I'm running them up to his office this afternoon, but I won't see him again until the middle of July. In the meantime, please discuss these with your doctor before going on any sort of regimen. Just because you read about them here does not mean they are right for you. Besides, I'm still exploring other supplements. It doesn't give me license to eat pizza and fried chicken, either, so watch your diet!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there, Dave. Nice to find you. I am interested in your coctail;is it of your own making? My newly acquired neurologist has just put me on a 'super vitamin' containing a heckova lot of folic acid for neuropathy.Have you tried that before? I've been type 1 for 23 years now, and I reckon what I have always heard is true, we southern gals are sweeter!!! Rarely, or either i do not remember, have I seen numbers in the 5's. Kudos to you!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kudos, Jennifer. Yes, it is my own concoction from research I did. I had to weed out the bad advice from the good. There are so many strange "cures" out there on the Internet. Believe me, I was quite surprised by my 5.5% on the A1c, but I made sure to not give the credit to what supplements I'm taking. I want to wait until more tests showing the same results before I can claim that.

    I have neuropathy, but I haven't heard of a 'super vitamin' with folic acid. Neuropathy is something I'm doing work on now. I know it can't be cured, either. It can only be slowed down and kept at bay with proper treatment. I take magnesium. I plan on writing about neuropathy when I feel comfortable with how much I know about it.

    Thank you so much for leaving a comment. If you have anything you'd like to add to any of the diabetic posts, please feel free. You can leave a comment or e-mail me and I will incorporate it in the body copy, crediting you. My intent is to help anyone out there if I can. The more, the merrier.

    Also, I have a similar website at WordPress that gets a lot more readership than this one, so you might want to go there sometime.

    I wish you all the best!

    Dave Knechel

    ReplyDelete